Tuesday, May 16, 2017

BOOK TOUR & AUTHOR INTERVIEW with Gayle C. Krause for "Twice Betrayed"



The thread of friendship is stretched to the breaking point…

With the spark of independence crackling in Colonial Philadelphia, Perdy Rogers chafes under the strict rule of her Quaker grandmother and the endless duties of her apprenticeship in Betsy Ross’s upholstery shop. So when her best friend shares a secret and invites Perdy to help plan an elopement, she’s thrilled to be with her friends again. But Perdy has no idea that one favor will unravel the stable fabric of her life and involve her in a tangled web of deceit, lies and treachery.

Disguised as boys, three girls head to the river to put Perdy’s plan into action, but only two return. When the third, a young milliner’s assistant, is found drowned with gold coins sewn into her hems,
coded spy letters in her bodice, and a journal implicating another sewing apprentice as her co-conspirator, all eyes turn to Perdy Rogers. But she’s no spy! 


Accused of treason, she struggles to prove her innocence with the help of a handsome stranger and learns the hard way that freedom, whether an individual’s or a country’s, comes at a cost.





As a Master Educationalist Gayle C. Krause taught Children’s Literature, creative writing, storytelling techniques, and acting in upstate New York, where she trained young men and women to become successful Early Childhood and Elementary teachers. She also directed the Pre-K Laboratory School affiliated with her teacher-training program and taught at a local SUNY college as an adjunct professor.

Her years as a creative role model for teens and pre-school children have led to her career as a children’s author. She is a member of SCBWI, KIDLIT, INK, The JAGRS Writing Group, and a past member of the Historical Novel Society and The Poets’ Garage.

Her publishing credits include:

•          Rock Star Santa, (2008) Scholastic.
•          RATGIRL: Song of the Viper - Noble Young Adult /Trowbridge Books (2013)
•          Scheherazade’s Secret – Trowbridge Books 2014
•          Twice Betrayed – Trowbridge Books 2017
•          And coming November 7, 2017 – Daddy, Can You See the Moon? – Clear Fork Publishing.

She lives in a small town not far from where she was born. She listens to her muse sing
through the trees of the Pocono Mountains and is inspired to write for children everyday.

Connect with the Author here: 



1-Tell us about your writing - What genre do you prefer to write? What books, stories, other publications that you've written are your personal favorites? Anything new coming up?

As a teacher educator, who trained prospective Early Childhood/Elementary teachers at both the secondary and post-secondary levels, I tend to write YA inspired by my high school students (juniors and seniors) and Picture Books for my pre-schoolers (4-year-olds in the laboratory Pre-K affiliated with my teaching program). And I implement the principles my Master’s Degree in Elementary Education, with my Middle Grade novels.

I prefer to write Fantasy, Historical Fiction, and Contemporary stories in all genres mentioned above.

Though I have a published a YA urban fantasy novel (a retelling of the Pied Piper set in a dystopian future with global warming) and a YA novella (a retelling of Scheherazade), I believe Perdy’s story, TWICE BETRAYED, is my favorite. I’ve worked on it for over 10 years.

Yes, I do have a new picture book slated for publication on November 7, 2017 with Clear Fork Publishing titled, Daddy, Can You see the Moon? a contemporary story of a military family.
A young boy and his soldier dad share special moments by looking at the moon each night. But when Dad comes home a wounded warrior, his son discovers it’s the power of love that kept them connected all along, and he plays a major part in his father’s recovery.

2-What about you as a person? What do you do to relax? Favorite movies or tv shows? Hobbies?

I’m a person with a ton of energy and for me I relax when I write, (my novels and picture books) when I sew (stuffed cloth dolls of my picture book characters) and when I cook (I’ve been known to whip up some gourmet meals).

Favorite Movie – as a child - The Wizard of Oz. As an adult – anything suspenseful. My favorite TV shows are Scandal, Outlander, and the 100.

3-What gets your creative juices going? Do you write to music, and do you want to share your playlist?

I owe my creative inspirations to my dreams. More than once, I went to bed with a puzzling character problem, woke up with a solution, and went immediately to my computer to write.

Music is the last thing I need when I write. Because I’m the type of person who stores facts in my mind, any music, even instrumentals of familiar songs interferes with my creative process. My brain can’t help recalling all of the words to every song.

4-"All writers must have cats, especially if they write fantasy or speculative fiction." Do you have a stand on this one? Any cute pictures of your kitty or other pet?

I once had a cat and she was crazy. Though I am considering getting a dog, I currently have no pets.

5-What organizations do you recommend for those wanting to become writers? Any advice you'd like to share about writing?

Definitely join SCBWI if you are interested in writing for children up to teen-agers. I have also belonged to the Romance Writers of America, The Historical Novel Society, and the 12x12 Picture Book Challenge.


To view the blog schedule and follow along with this tour, visit the Official Event page:



1 comment: